Monday, July 11, 2016

In the wise words of Ben Rector, "This is a lot for an Oklahoma kid like me..."

     Today started with a bang, and that bang was six o'clock in the morning. Breakfast was served bright and early so we could catch our buses and head to Arlington to hear from, the lovely, Hoda Kotb. Her speech perfectly set the tone for the day. It was very encouraging and full of great advice. One thing she said that has really stuck with me is, "Don't hog your journey. It's not just for you." When something amazing happens it is our responsibility to share it, (hence the blog.)

     After lunch we hopped back on the buses for a cool minute to get to the Newseum in D.C. This place is above and beyond anything I could have imagined! I can guarantee I took more pictures than I will ever be able to share. The amount of artifacts, and pieces of history that I viewed is insane. One thing that I particularly loved was the Berlin Wall. It stands twelve feet tall, according to the voice over that plays at the exhibit, and it includes an entire watchtower that you can even go into. Another exhibit I loved was about the "First Dogs of the United States." Like President Ford, one of my first dogs is also a golden retriever.

     The last thing we did tonight after a huge burger cookout for dinner was tour some of D.C.'s monuments. Our first stop was the White House, and we did not get to go inside but got some great pictures of the outside and enjoyed the street entertainment in the area. Our next stop, and my personal favorite, was the World War II Memorial. Not only was it stunning, but it was very peaceful. Sitting by the water and listening to the rustling of the fountain was so calming. We went to the Lincoln Memorial as well, and got to watch the sunset on the Washington monument.

     Today was an adventure and tomorrow holds more. I am very thankful for the experience I have had so far, and am excited for what is yet to come!

5 comments:

  1. Wow. What a day! So happy you are getting this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah! What a great first full day! Sounds like you are seeing some amazing things! Love reading your updates! - Kam :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are sharing your experiences on your blog. We are getting to follow along. It sounds like you had a great day full of amazing things. Grammie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats your killing in #whatagang

    ReplyDelete