Wednesday, July 13, 2016

These are my two favorite pieces of information I learned today...
     "Do what you love, and the money will follow." Amy Takayama-Perez
     "Blink-182 is very tall." Assad Khan

     The first ting we did today was hear from Carol Guzy who is a photojournalist. Let me tell you, her photos/stories churned my heart. She witness and photographed some amazing events, such as the fall of the Berlin Wall and the aftermath of disasters like the Haiti earthquake and 9/11. Hearing her stories had me in tears, but actually seeing her photographs broke my heart. I know she will never forget the things she has witnessed, and I know that I will never forget how seeing her work impacted me. We were all very fortunate to have had that experience today...

     After lunch and a fun newspaper writing simulation, we returned to hear from Amy Takayama-Perez who I quoted above. She is the Dean of Admissions for George Mason University. At first I was concerned that she was just trying to sell us on the school, but I soon learned that that was clearly not the case! Perez gave some fantastic advice about choosing a college, a major, and how to afford what you choose. As someone who is in the college decision making process I was very encouraged by her advice and now feel much more ready to make such decisions in the near future.

     We then had another brief meeting followed by a speech from Kevin McCarthy, who is an entertainment reporter. He, as well as Charles Bramesco who is a reporter for the Rolling Stones, had some wonderful stories that I enjoyed listening to. They also really got me thinking about how many different aspects of journalism there actually are. I also loved the senses of humor that came out of both of them. After all, sarcasm is my first and favorite language.

     Another exciting thing we got to do today was hear from Assad Khan, a radio host for DC-101. Our time with him was in a much smaller, one-on-one venue, and it was extremely informative. I greatly enjoyed hearing about just exactly how the radio station worked and what his job specifically consisted of. He also had some great stories and fun facts about artists from meeting them. This is where I got my other opening quote so, no Dad, unfortunately I did not personally meet Blink-182 today, but I've heard the lead singer is quite tall.

     Today was a lot of work but it was the best kind of work and was very enjoyable. Tomorrow is another huge day and I look forward to the early start in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. You are having an unbelievable experience. What a treasure. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah I love reading your blog! You are such a great writer and I also love hearing about all of the awesome things you are doing and people you are meeting - sounds amazing! So happy for you too!

    ReplyDelete